Explanation

Picking out a record from my collection at random and making myself play it. It's too easy to go directly to the ones you love most!

Sunday 25 November 2012

#10 Stereolab - Refractions in the Plastic Pulse Remix 12"

The Refractions in the Plastic Pulse 12" was supposedly somewhat limited, so I got hold of a copy despite my natural suspicion of remixes. I enjoyed side 2, a remix of Contronatura that is so mellow that it includes the sounds of someone snoring (or perhaps that was just my dog). It's one of their finer songs, and this is an intersesting diversion from the original.

Side 1 is the real shocker. Autechre has created the 'Feebate Mix', so called as I imagine they had to return their fee for having turned in such a horrible mess. I'm all in favour of remixers creating something wildly different from the original, deconstructing it, or making an utter racket, but this is just awful. The vocals have been sped up to sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks (the 12" plays at 33, so it wasn't on the wrong speed) and then there's all kinds of abrasive noise chucked into the mix like Jim Foetus clearing an old studio of his. I love a bit of noise, but this is just hugely annoying. It should have been pressed in edition of one & thrown at full force at Autechre, hopefully severing their mixing digits.

No comments:

Post a Comment